Friday, January 21, 2011

FASHION + FOOD = LOVE

I have to admit, although "Motherhood" is fairly new for me, I quickly fell into the unavoidable habit of wearing sweats the majority of the time. Don't get me wrong, I always find a way to doll them up with accessories, or hair/makeup, but the ease, efficiency and comfort of sweats has made me #1 fan of the Sweatpants club. Hopefully this does NOT cancel out my "Fashion Police" badge, or my love for all things fashion.. I don't feel like I express this enough on my blog, so I thought I'd go over some of Sunday's "Golden Globes" looks, and who I thought was a hit or miss.

CHRISTINA AGUILERA:


Let me start by saying how much I LOVE Christina Aguilera. Love her music. Love her voice. HATE this dress. Something about the mixture of nude & black in a lacyb print always comes off as raunchy to me. It looks too much like lingerie & should be worn UNDERNEATH the dress. I also hate the little black belted waist, or the fact that Christina Aguilera hasn't swayed from the "I promise I'm a classic beauty born in the 40's and only wear red lipstick" look.. We get it, Xtina. We got it a looong time ago.

LEA MICHELLE:

As an admitted "GLEEk" I can't help going ga-ga over anything Lea Michelle wears. So far, she's nailed it at every awards show, but this look leaves me scratching my head. I can't figure out if I love it or hate it.. I LOVE me some Barbie pink & she'd look fab in a brown paper sack, but I think the entire production on her bottom left side could've been completely left off. Come on, Oscar De La Renta? You should've consulted me before you made this dress!! Yes.. I really just said that. TOTALLY JOKING!

ANGELINA JOLIE:


Forest green seemed to be a hot color for this season, but I truly believe that Miss Pretty here wore her green Versace the WORST. Shoulder pads? Long sleeves AND high neck? Can we see a TINY bit more skin from "The Hottest Woman Alive?" Check, please.



NICOLE KIDMAN:


"Hi, I'm Nicole Kidman. I can be totally low key and wear ivory with minimal embellishments because I'm breathtakingly gorgeous and I've starred in countless films. Oh, P.S, have you heard of Keith Urban?"

MICHELLE WILLIAMS:


With such a cute & minimal Pixie hair cut, Michelle Williams could've pulled off any dress this year. Except for this one. Where they found this fabric is BEYOND ME. The straps look like a choker necklace I made once using the directions from one of my "Babysitters Club" books, and the daisy print looks exactly like a Kaboodle I once owned. Let's be sure to add two super huge daisies on the waist area.. it's always fun to widen that part out.



CATHERINE ZETA JONES:


Oh yeah, remember that forest green trend I was talking about? Here's the queen pulling it off flawlessly. The cut, the fit.. PERECTION! Catherine Zeta Jones is always amazing in my book (not to mention I think she totally resembles my Mama!) Monique Lhullier.. you are a goddess for creating this masterpiece!!

P.S Monique Lhullier (the designer of Catherine's glamorous green dress) also designed my future wedding gown. I don't care if I get married in a house, with a mouse, in a box, or with a fox. Either way, I'm wearing THIS gown!




Side note: Cash is 15 months old, so his 2nd birthday (pains me to say this!) is only 9 months away.  Hear me out: I am in NO way planning his birthday party ANY time soon.  In fact, I'd stop time if I could and keep him this age FOR-EV-ER. I started planning Cash's 1st birthday about five months in advance, and by planning I really just mean began making things.. I was EXTREMELY thrifty & frugal for his 1st birthday, and I plan to do the same for his second.  Of course, his first birthday party theme (the most important part!) had to be MONKEYS. He was my little monkey, and that was that.  We know that this year for his 2nd birthday is the last year that WE will be able to choose the theme of his party. After that, if he wants a "GREEN MONSTER & RED CRAYON" party, or a "TRAINS AND PORCUPINES" party, I'll be on board. As long as no REAL porcupines are requested, I'm good.  I only thought it was fair that his daddy get to choose the theme for his next party, because I chose the first one.  Thankfully, his response was quick and it didn't involve anything monster or "sports" related.  I'm all about suprises, so you'll have to wait for his "big day" to see what all I come up with, but here's a hint to the chosen theme:
If you're anything like me, some days in our lives are too hectic to prepare a gourment meal every single night. I know it may seem as though I'm always whipping up something top notch (I cook Monday-Friday. Saturday we eat out, and Sunday we eat at my Grandma's!) but I love the occassional super easy recipe with little to no clean up. For those of you who are NOT Super Woman (it's okay to admit it!) this is the perfect recipe for you! Super easy, effortless and 100% tasty.. This is a classic Campbells recipe but I doctored it a bit to add some flavor. Enjoy only cleaning up one pot!


CAMPBELLS CHICKEN & RICE WITH A TWIST

NEED:
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup (Campbells!)
1 cup chicken stock
3/4 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, halves.
Salt & Pepper
Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
Chicken Rub


STEPS:
1. Stir the soup, chicken stock, rice, paprika, S & P and Tony Chachere's in a 2-quart shallow baking dish. Top with the chicken, seasoned on both sides with chicken rub. Cover the baking dish.
2. Bake at 375°F. for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender.


You didn't think I'd just leave you with a super easy recipe and call it a day, right?! NO WAY, JOSE! How's dessert sound? If anyone is La Madeleine obsessed like me, you've probably endulged in their Strawberry Romanoff. If you haven't I'm afraid you're totally missing out. I've managed to come up with an equally fabulous recipe. In fact, I think it may have La Madeleine's beat. Did I mention it is super easy? For all you dieters like me, just eat the strawberries. Bummer!


 
BETTER THAN LA MADELEINE STRAWBERRY ROMANOFF


NEED:
1/2 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon brandy or vanilla (I used vanilla!)
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons sugar
4 cups fresh strawberries, sliced

STEPS:

- Mix sour cream, brown sugar and vanilla in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whip cream with electric mixer until starts to thicken and add sugar--whip until thick.
- Fold cream into sour cream mixture and blend well.
- Layer & serve with fresh, sliced strawberries.

P:S Valentine's Day is coming up.. How SWEET would this be to serve to your hubby?

No comments:

Post a Comment